Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

checklist for moving from 810 to 520 as400

Status
Not open for further replies.

capkirk

Technical User
Jun 4, 2007
US
we are moving from our 810 i-series to a 520.

we are doing this on a sunday. friday we do a full backup, saturday we do a partial ( to take care of anything done saturday) then on sunday the IBM tech is going to remove the drives from the 810, install them in the 520, then copy everything over to the new drives.

I am trying to get a checklist of things to do before we start, anyone who has gone thru this before have some hints for me?

Off the top of my head:

1. Check with vendors to be sure of license keys. There may be some license and pricing issues. Also check that there are no issues with running their products on the new box.

2. Make sure that all of the subsystems start normally. We had some issues with the server susbsystems starting automatically. It was awhile back and I don't recall what we did to fix it.

3. Here are some links of problems some people had.

Overall, it was pretty smooth when we did it. The main issues were that some software packages had to be relicensed at additional cost.

[rockband]

In my prior post, I should have said that we had some issues with server subsystems NOT starting automatically.

[rockband]

thanks, I will look out for that.
I keep hearing we will be okay with the IBM software (we have 70 days to register with new serial number) but we may or may not have issues with 3rd party software, depends on the software.

if they run off the serial number, we could have issues, otherwise we would be okay.

fun stuff.

Depending on you clients, make sure that you have the same IP addresses set up on the new box. If it comes with the same number of cards, you should be fine, otherwise you may need to set up multiple IP addresses on the same card.

We will be doing something similar in a few months. We may keep the 810 as a redundant server, or buy two 520's. Not sure yet.

If you don't mind, keep us posted on any bumps you find. I'm sure there are others who'd like that info also.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back