Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking username/password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

annasue

Technical User
Mar 20, 2004
US
I have this sql statement:

SELECT * FROM projects WHERE `username` = 'FAA' OR `username` = 'faa' AND `password` = 'ASW2004' OR `password` = 'asw2004'

in order to check for whether for the correct combination whether the user used upper or lower case. It's returning 2 rows from the database but that combination occurs only for one row. Do I have my syntax wrong?

It's probably an operator precedence problem.

You think
WHERE `username` = 'FAA' OR `username` = 'faa' AND `password` = 'ASW2004' OR `password` = 'asw2004'

means

WHERE (`username` = 'FAA' OR `username` = 'faa') AND (`password` = 'ASW2004' OR `password` = 'asw2004')

But MySQL, since AND has a higher precedence than OR, thinks the clause is:

WHERE `username` = 'FAA' OR (`username` = 'faa' AND `password` = 'ASW2004') OR `password` = 'asw2004'

A tip:

If you want your queries to be non-case-specific, don't try putting every combination into the query. Just convert everything to upper- or lower-case:

SELECT * FROM projects WHERE [blue]upper([/blue]`username`[blue])[/blue] = 'FAA' AND [blue]upper([/blue]`password`[blue])[/blue] = 'ASW2004'

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

String comparisons in MySQL are case-insensitive by default, so you could simple use:
[tt]
WHERE username = 'FAA' AND password = 'ASW2004'
[/tt]

Using the UPPER function would only slow things down, as it would prevent indexes being used.

-----
ALTER world DROP injustice, ADD peace;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back