Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking System Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameja

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
BE
Hi Gurus

I brought down Solaris box yesterday and during booting I was advised to run FSCK. I tried to run metastat I got a response of no database installed and then I run prtdiag -v
HDD0 reported amber light. Is there any more command that that report errors on that disk.

John

/usr/sbin/prtdiag -v |grep amber
MB SERVICE off amber
PS0 SERVICE off amber
HDD0 SERVICE off amber
HDD1 SERVICE off amber

Don't believe amber is a problem, all our systems are as above. What happens using command "metadb"
Also agree with Hameja - have you run fsck as advised, looks like you've lost something, fsck may bring it back.
Other commands, run "dmesg" to see what system is saying
iostat -En will list your disks and possible errors

what model system is this?

check /var/adm/messages for errors, something may have happened before you brought the system down.

more /var/adm/messages | grep WARNING

also check /var/adm/messages.1 etc..

thanks

CA

John - you mentioned metastat. I take this as an indication that you're using Solaris Disk Suite (or it's successor) on this system?

I suggest you run format to see whether the system can "see" the disk any more, select the disk in question and then run chose 'analyze' and 'read'. This will perform a non-destructive test of the entire disk and attempt to repair any bad blocks found. Be careful not to choose the other read/write tests as they will destroy the contents of the disk.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back