Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

checking speed of network interface card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bi

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
Can someone tell me if ifconfig is the correct command to change the speed of the network interface card I'm using? Or is it not possible to change the speed? The HP equivalent of the ifconfig command does let you set speed. Does Solaris 7? I'm running a SPARC on a 10/100 LAN network.

Thanks.

Well you do ifconfig -a to find out the interface you are using (le0 eri) etc, then you can as root run ndd /dev/xxx \? (where xxx is the ethernet card) which will give you all parameters for your network card and check to see if link_speed is read and write otherwise you won't be able to change the speed if it's only read, then if link_speed is read and write you can change the speed by ndd -set /dev/xxx link_speed 1 , Hope this helps

To change the network setting permanently you will need to modify the /etc/system file. To lock it to 100Mb FDX you will need to add the changes below.

set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100T4_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back