Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking Outlook mailbox size programatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cads

Technical User
Jan 17, 2000
GB
Recently moved to Outlook/Exchange here in my organisation. Unlike in the previous Email product, IT management have put a fixed size limit on the mailbox with no warning when the size has been reached. Annoying, because when it happens you have to delete and/or archive before being able to continue.

What I'd like to do is write a VBA script in the ThisOutlookSession module to check mailbox size when logging in and so be warned in advance. Realise it will have to be in the Application_Startup procedure but as I'm new to Outlook VBA (been an Access developer for 5 + years so know that dialect OK) I'm not sure how to code it succintly. Any tips, code, commiserations(!), please? Ta.

Why not approach IT management and ask them to change this process as the option you require is already present in exchange administrator anyway. You can setup in exchange certain points in time, and have then emailed to users automatically. We have ours at work set to your mailbox is very nearly reaching the limit consider deleting at say 20mb. Then another message about 25mb saying mailbox has almost been exceeded, then finally at 30mb you must delete mail and the users are then not able to send and receive email.

It is simple to setup and simple to adminster plus it encourages users to delete things they no longer require, and through user awareness puts less strain on the servers. That would be my argument for enforcing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back