Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking on sumproduct formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbenaway

Instructor
Sep 19, 2002
In the attached photo, am needing a formula that will pick up on a month (Jan) in column B, and pick up on both names (nancy and Lynn) in column D, and then look throughout the spreadsheet E9:X24 and give the total number. The tab for the sheet with the data is called "Production". The formula is embedded on another worksheet.

This is the formula that I used, but for some reason it is not adding up the numbers correctly.

=SUMPRODUCT(((Production!B9:B24="Jan")+(Production!d9:d24="nancy")+(Production!d9:d24="lynn")*Production!e9:x24))

Hi,
[tt]
=SUMPRODUCT
(
(Production!B9:B24="Jan")*
(Production!d9:d24="nancy")*
(Production!d9:d24="lynn")*
(Production!e9:x24)
)
[/tt]
it is the PRODUCT of all that is SUMMED.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Replace the first "+" with a "*".

Also, look at your logic - you are asking for only records where Production!d9:d24="nancy" AND only records where Production!d9:d24="lynn". A cell can't very well meet both criteria, can it?

So split it up into two different SumProduct formulas and add them together. Something like"
=[blue]SUMPRODUCT((Production!B9:B24="Jan") * (Production!d9:d24="nancy") * ...)[/blue] + [red]SUMPRODUCT(((Production!B9:B24="Jan") * (Production!d9:d24="lynn")* ...)[/red]

Also, I'd recommend using real dates rather than the text string "Jan"

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Nice catch, John. I missed conflicting criteria values.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back