Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking My Sanity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planner18

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2014
US
Hi

The company planning standard states the resources in schedules must be set at 85% availability.

The group has a resource pool which all the schedules are linked to. If the resources in the resource pool are set to 85% availability then the resources assigned to the tasks within the linked schedules should be set to 100% and not 85%. The same principal should be adopted for standalone schedules as well. Am I correct or is there another way of doing this?

All advice is appreciated

Regards

Planner18

No, if a resources max units are set to 85% in the pool - then the resources should be assigned at 85%. Assignments are not a percentage of max.

Hi Julie,

Are you saying, even if I set the max units at 85% then, they still have to assign each resource on each task at 85% availability. Then over allocated will only be shown if they assign a resource on a task over 85%? I am bit confused because when a new resource is assigned to a task, the resource is automatically assigned 85% when max units is set at 85%.

Kind regards

Planner

The default assignment unit is what ever the resource's max unit. If a resource is simply added to a task - he/she will be assigned at their max.units.

Overallocations occur if a) a resource is assigned to a task at above max or b)a resource is assigned to multiple tasks that overlap in time. If Peak > Max, the resource is overallocated.

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply

Just to be clear, if I wanted to set a resource working on a task at a 50% of their time at 85% availability, the only way is showing this, is to set the resource at 42%?

As always thank you for your help and sorry to be a pain :)

Regards

Planner18

If you set assignment of the the resource to the task at 50% - they will have 35% unused capacity. (85-50 = 35) If you set the assignments at 42% they will have remaining availability of 43%.

The 85% max units defines at what value does a resource become overallocated. It also dictates the default assignment unit. You can assign a resource at any value - including above max. But if you want to keep the resource from being overallocated and you want the resource to work on multiple task that overlap in time, you'll need to enter the assignment units on each assignment during the overlap.

No worries about being a pain - all good questions and not an uncommon point of confusion.

Thanks Julie. I finally understand.

Appreciate your time explaining this.

Cheers

Planner18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back