Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking for duplicate entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorimare

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
Greetings all, in the past I would use a query to check for duplicates. For example, if I had an Itemmaster table that contained several fields with one filed called: 'Part Number'. If I suspect duplicates I would run a query that would search and show me the duplicate part numbers.

I would create a new query and pull down the part number field and pull down the part number field again.....this is where I forget what I did....I would either do a count or where part number >1

I forget, anyone know how to check for duplicates? Just a simple query you can share with us?

Thank you!

Hi

Go to View -> Totals and make sure the setting is set to Count on the field you want to check for duplicates of, then ensure the criteria is set to >1, with the Totals line set to Group By for all other fields in the query.

John

Thank you John, it all comes back now! That was it, setting the totals so I can do a count on the field.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back