Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking Filepath of MSAccess.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed2020

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
GB
I am having some problems with users of one of my systems taking copies of MS Access 2000 and putting them on their local drives. They are then launching my systems from this copy of Access, rather than the network copy.

I am not entirely happy about this and would like to code my systems to only work when launched with the networked MS Access.

Is there any way of checking the filepath of the Access executable that the current database is running in?

Ed Metcalfe
ed_metcalfe@hotmail.com

So what you are saying is that they are doing a full install of Access 2000 from the server to their pc? If that's the case, can't you just lock them out of the directory on the server?

Ed,

Here is a function I created, that returns the default path. The argument supplied is the mdb name

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit
Public Function DefPath(strDbName As String) As String

' Last modified on 7/16/01 7:21AM GCG

DefPath = Left(strDbName, Len(strDbName) - Len(Dir(strDbName, vbDirectory)))
End Function

HTH,
GGleason

KarMac21,

No, they're copying the MSAccess.exe file and all of its associated DLL's to their local drive and running it from there.

Ed Metcalfe.

Ed,
The only thing I can think of right now is to have a .exe that runs in the background that periodically scans the system for msaccess.exe and deletes it if present. I can make this for you if you want. I'll keep checking for other solutions also. I know you can grab that thread but I don't know how to find were it originated.

Shane

Shane,

Thanks for the offer. I was hoping to avoid using FileSearch by checking the current app. path.

Oh well, if it can't be done it can't be done.

Cheers anyway,

Ed Metcalfe.

Luther,

You're a star. That works a treat.

Ed Metcalfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back