Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checkdisk and Defrag in VPC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenche0820

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
CA
Hi guys,

Does it make any sense to run checkdisk and defrag inside the guest OS, or should we only run these utilities in the host OS? I'm not sure if the guest OS would have access to the physical disk outside of its allocated space, so I'm wondering what happens if you run checkdisk or defrag there.

Actually, I'm getting the error "The file or directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." in the guest OS. Any help on that error would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

Ken

While you should do defrag in a guest OS unless you are going to compact the disk, chkdsk definitely makes sense in a guest, especially if you get that corrupt message.

That particular corrupt message is usually caused by VPC not being able to write to the disk properly at some time in the past...

- Bob Comer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back