Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check online for a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Has anyone ever gotten this feature to work?

I have a program that uses shared memory and because of some security feature which was introduced in Vista, the program crashes. It offers to abort/debug the program. If you click debug (retry?), it pops up a window with Check online for a solution.

I've yet to see in writing that this feature actually works and it has acutally given someone a solution. I get this on numerous programs for all sorts of reasons including bad programming and W7/Vista have never found a solution online.

It doesn't seem to happen very often but I vaguely remember getting a reply from Microsoft (on the odd occasion).

"Microsoft may send solution information back to the user or administrator about a problem, including links to Web sites."

Windows Error Reporting and the Problem Reports and Solutions Feature in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

It isn't the one where it offers to report the problem to MS with the retry/debug window. Those are normally program crashes which were caused by my bad coding. It is the ones where it offers to find a solution, chugs for a bit, offers no solution and closes the program.

That's probably because your own apps are not setup to use the WER system neither have you spend lots of money by having them "quality tested" for the "Windows logo".

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

What is the WER system? Tried googling it - came up with Windows Energy Rating but I don't think that's what was meant.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to set up an app to use the WER system?

You're right - I don't bother with quality testing since the applications tend to be one-offs which are used to show some interoperability idea and never get used again. These are applications for very short programmes: 3 months at most.

What would be interesting is if we incorporated the WER system for reporting exceptions on the Windows based bits and probably do something completely different for Linux based systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back