Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

check # of current calls? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrequest

MIS
Jul 12, 2007
US
How might I check the number of active external calls?

I noticed an Alarm 75 this morning. We can only make perhaps 2 or 3 external calls on our plain old PRI. Googling, I see this is some kind of PRI clocking issue, and I've contacted our phone carrier.

We have a Norstar KSU/PRI MICS 5. Handsets are M7310.

Check your b channels/provisioning. Is this a full voice PRI? You should have 23 provisioned b channels and 1 d. What happens when you make that 4th call out? Busy? What?

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Yes, full PRI, so 23. I can't make the 3rd outbound call though. Carrier called back and said everything looked good on their end. He could see two calls connected, but when we try a third, carrier doesn't see a request to grab an open channel. I just get silence on the earpiece. They suggested I reboot our equipment, which I'll probably do in about 30 minutes. How can I check there's no active calls, or count the number of active calls? Can I reboot through the admin menus, or just power cycle?

You can go into programming and go to Hardware to disable and re-enble the card.

I ended up power cycling. I can use all channels now. Causes for the Alarm 75? It seems we must do this every 3 months since we got our new carrier.

Make sure that B Channel Service Messaging is turned off in the Central Office

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

PERRYPJ, our carrier thought that would be a good idea, and they said they don't get a lot of requests to do this.

Yup.
The B Channel Service Messaging will lock up the channels during overnight routines. The channels will unlock as they receive incoming calls.
Incoming calls work low to high,(1-23) and outgoing are high to low (23-1), so the symptom is usually the ability to recieve calls, but unable to make calls.
Disable/enable of the card, or a reboot, will free the channels as well.

-SD-

This problem seems to be back. Some users were unable to make outbound calls. I could only get up to 2 in + 2 out, or 4 in and 1 outbound before we "ran out" of lines. Called in a trouble ticket, and referenced our old ticket. Provider said CO switch was ready to take more calls, even though I was hearing dead air after dialing. Said he thinks its our system. I rebooted system, and called the same tech back. we did another test to try to max system, and we were able to hit 8 calls w/o problem (gets hard to juggle more than that as the autoattendent starts hanging up after a couple minutes), so the reboot seemed to help. Could the problem be in our KSU? Not sure what to do next.

Is 7.1 a MICS version? How would I upgrade this?

BTW, there was no alarm code this time around.

Our carrier said they didn't (can't) reconfigure anything regarding the B Channel Service Messaging discussion.

I'll see what our Nortel vendor thinks.

The software upgrade is definitely where you HAVE to start working the problem as there are many known bugs and issues when using PRI with 5.0.

Upgrading your system can be quite problematic though as there are no guarantees that the upgrade tool will be able to maintain your existing programming (and they very often don't!).

I think we'd all be doing you wrong if we didn't recommend that you have a certified Norstar technician do the upgrade for you, as he could very well end up having to reprogram your entire system from scratch!

Do you still have your PRI key codes and what release is your NVRAM pack?

Phonehed in Dallas

Here's what I suspect is the NVRAM pack:

NNTM845662KU
NTBB08GA-93
Rel 02 2002/10/03
MICS NVRAM CART
MADE IN CANADA

Well that's one item you shouldn't have to replace anyway. :)

Call your local, authorized, Norstar vendor and let them survey your system so they can produce an accurate quote for you.

Phonehed in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back