Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check name hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDgiB

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
I just changed a W98 work station from one user name to another, including the identification and host name in network neighborhood properties. I then upgraded the computer through NT to IE 5.0 and Outlook 2000. Now when I try to configure the Outlook mailing address to the new user, when I press "Check Name" the computer hangs forever with the dreaded sand dial. I tried different current NT user names in the check name field and I keep getting the hang. I can connect to the network and connect to the Internet. Can anyond out there help me???

Thanks for responding Zelandakh. Yes, I can ping the server. We're a small company, so we're running SBS in which the NT and Exchange servers are on the same computer. I've gone to the MS knowledge base, and I think my next step is to investigate the RPC protocol binding order. I wonder if I'm getting too technical here. Could it be a simple solution? Also, I can access the user mailbox on another computer, so the problem must lie within the specific W98 workstation.

Hence my comment.Doesn't sound like a server issue. Select the do not dial, use existing connection in Exchange in Mail control panel. Ensure your DNS is working correctly both server and client side.

Zel

Your profile is linked to your Outlook Address Book. If your mailbox is reconstructed, the link is broken and the Contacts folders and Check Name feature 'do not work'.

WORKAROUND
==========

To solve this, you must remove the Outlook Address Book service from your Outlook
profile, and then re-add it.

The necessary steps are detailed below.

1. Click on Tools | Services...

2. Note what's listed in the check names box

3. Click the Services tab; select the Outlook Address Book and click Remove

4. Click Apply

5. Now you need to re-add the Outlook Address Book Service; click Add...

6. Select Outlook Address Book; click OK 'till you're out

7. Shut down Outlook via File | Exit and Logoff

8. Restart Outlook

9. Right click any Contact folders which were in the search list (the notes you took in the second step), click Properties

10. Select Outlook Address Book, check "Show this ..."

11. go to Tools | Services | Addressing ...
add back the Contacts folders into the search list

12. Reorder the search list as appropriate by selecting the address list and then clicking the Up or Down arrows

13. Click OK

Just a quick suggeston, add a "hosts" file to the PC and see if that works. I had the same problem before I implemented WINS.

Syntax is:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx {exchange Server Name}

If none of these works,uninstall outlook[or the whole office package if necessary].Remove network protocols and add and bind the same.Run latest service pack of NT[as per ur dep. policy].Confirm all network connectivities.Reinstall outlook[or the whole office package if necessary].It should work.

Rasindia
rasindia@123india.com

This has happended to me a couple of times.
Try Check Name on a known working machine (e-mail that is!)
If this fails the same as the one your working on the only I know of solvng this is to re-boot the server.
Sounds drastic but some part of exchange has failed (don't know which), but this works at our site.
If anybody knows which part of exchange has gone belly-up a more definitive answer would be appreciated.

Good Luck !!

When you installed IE 5.0 and setup the express mail portion, you must select "corporate email". We may want to reinstall IE. Check the simple stuff too, like spelling of user name and sever name. Check to make sure there is a mailbox for that user.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back