Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check Marks in Word Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyne

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
I've got a Form in Word 2010 that has several check boxes. All of a sudden, no one can put a check in any of the boxes. I've searched the internet but I can't find a fix. Does anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of my backup files. Thanks!

No, not ActiveX Controls. We're Windows 7 SP1.

What kind of checkboxes are they? Word supports four kinds:
• ActiveX
• Content Control
• Formfield
• Userform
What kind of editing restrictions, if any, have been applied to the document?

The Windows version is irrelevant.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure! This the only form I've ever built. I want to say that I pulled Check Box from a menu somewhere. And again, it used to work. It worked up until a month or 2 ago. And that's the tragedy of my backup situation!

Someone might have accidently Removed Content Controls on the checkboxes making them just a box.

Assuming you don't have the Developer tab, right click in toolbar and select Customize the Ribbon... and on the left column check the box next to Developer.

Now with the Developer tab, click on Design Mode. If don't you see brackets appear around the checkbox, then you know that its no longer a checkbox.

If the brackets do appear, click in the checkbox area and click the Properties icon. See if any of the Locking boxes were checked.

If you press Alt-F9, does the checkbox display change to { FORMCHECKBOX }? If so, it's a formfield.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Ha! That's what it was. Now, let me see if I can fix it. Thanks a heap for your help!

If it's a formfield, you need to apply Word's 'filling in forms' editing restrictions for it to work.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I have it working now. It's not as pretty as it was, but it's not long for this life anyway. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back