Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check in\Check out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgh

Programmer
Feb 2, 2000
GB
I want a team of developers the option to check forms etc. out from with VB etc, yet stop them checking the code back in. SourceSafe "rights" group check in and check out together.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Richard.

Richard,

Can't you just allow them to "get" the latest version instead of checking it out? Would that accomplish what you want? Kathryn

Unfortunately not as the developers want to change the source after they check it out. I have managed to find some VB source that allows you to write a DLL that controls all the check in/check out/add etc. functions in sourcesafe, however all the developer's have to do is to remove the DLL to bypass this.

Going to try this for a while along with a big stick :)

Richard.

Well, after they check it out, they can change the code, but they just can't check it in (since it's not checked out). If you don't want them to EVER be able to check the source code back in that should work.

Hope you get it figured out. Kathryn

Richard,

I've been watching this thread for a while and curiosity finally got the better of me... why would you want to let a developer check out source code, modify it, but never be able to check it back in?

Steve

Unfortunatley I work on a monster of a project that has over 250 forms in it. We have 2 sets of developers working for 2 different customers using the same project. The developers were in a very bad habit of checking code in, usually untested, so that someone else could access forms for a while, change them, check them back in, untested again, so that the original developer could continue his changes. Generally this meant that nobody could do a build for any of our cusomters, and when they could do a build some bugs were introduced. Also when they did check stuff in the comments were either blank or so meaningless nobody could tell why the routine was changed.

We have introduced procedures to ensure that everything is tested, independently tested and that a build can still be done prior to checking in.

I am also using this process to be able to do code reviews to ensure that junior programmer are following coding standards and their coding is properly structured.

Richard.

Richard,
First, I was wondering if I could get a copy of that VB source code you mentioned. I'm attempting to write a DLL to respond to events such as checkin or checkout and I can't seem to get the DLL code to respond to the events. I'd like to compare code.

Second, if your developers are working on win2K boxes and NOT logged into the admin user account on their machine, you can set the security settings for each file (or folder) on there computers allowing specific kinds of access to these files (or folders). For example you could limit access to read-only which would not allow them delete. This would protect your DLL file. If not I'm not, then there's one other MUCH more complicated way that I've never performed and am not sure how well it would work in this situation.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance for that code!

Jason
jschmitt@cs.utexas.edu

Hi Jason,

E-mailed the code to you this monring. Hope it helps
out.

Richard.

Hi Richard,
I have exactly the same problem. Our code is basically lots of linked DLLS so you can the imagine the kind of "screw-ups" that I've had to unpick !!!

Not very elegant I know, but I got round this by allowing the ones you don't/can't trust to only "get latest version".

If they then need to change code, they remove the read-only attributes of the files in question on their own project directory.

Only when it has been tested, then changes are sent to my machine & I can check them in !!! Spencer Window (not a joke name)

I have the same problem.

However got around it by taking a cut of the code and creating a new sourcesafe project that only I have access to.

When a new release is planned we work out which changes we require and extract them from the checked in development sourcesafe environment. That way we dont have to take all the changes, and it doesnt stop developers from coding.

Downside is that it envolves some time and effort working out what we need to bring across. However accurate comments and labels helps with this.

You can also enable project security from within the administrator. After it is enabled, give your users read only acces on project level rights. They will then be able to perform "gets" but not checkout / checkin.

Hope that helps...

Brett Keown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back