Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

check for internet connectivity, if none then dial

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkatLMFJ

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2006
US
Howdy All,

We are upgrading our credit card processing system to the enterprise based product, however, the product does not have modem failover if the internet is not available for processing. As such we are going to be upgrading our network to use a DIA circuit instead of DSL since it has SLAs and better notification if there is a problem.

However, since our credit card processor won't auto fail over to a modem to authorize, I need to have the machine dial out to the internet over dialup to do authorization that way, slower, but better than not processing at all. We have a dialup account, its setup on the machine, but I need to figure out how to say every 3 minutes try and see if the internet is accessible, if it is, then nothing happens, if its not, then I need to dial up to the internet automatically, without administrator intervention.

Anybody ahve a crafty script or method to do this? I cannot ping past my gateway and the credit card box is inside the network. I was thinking do something like try and wget a page on google or something.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back