Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check for duplicate indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizray

Programmer
May 14, 2008
AU
I have a table with a primary Index consisting of 2 fields, the index does not allow duplicates. The user can input data via a form, into both fields,fld1 and fld2. what is the fastest way to check if the combined fields input will cause a duplicate in the primary index ?

[tt]SELECT * FROM YourTable
WHERE fld1 = valkueFromFormfld1
AND fld2 = valFromFormFld2
[/tt]
If returned anything, this record already is in the table,
if returned nothing, you are OK

Have fun.

---- Andy

Thanks Andy, I am not familiar with SQL, but would the rest of code need to set up a recordset and test for zero records. Would it be faster to use:
SELECT fld1 FROM YourTable
WHERE fld1 = valkueFromFormfld1
AND fld2 = valFromFormFld2

It would be to a great benefit to you to get yourself familiar with SQL and recordsets, since you are in Access. And there is not much difference if you are going after * or one field to check if there is a record with fld1 and fld2 or not. You could also use a SELECT COUNT() for this check, or even DLOOKUP.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Thanks again Andy. You are right I should come up to speed on SQL. I had hoped there may have been a fast, special way of checking for Index values

Another, 'lazy' approach to this problem (not recommended) is to allow user to insert a new record and catch the error if the insert violates the ‘2 field index’ rule.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back