Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check files backup on tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

babeo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2000
CA
Is there anyway to check the files backup on tapes are good (or are they there?) so that I can make a decision of re-backup or delete the backed up files on harddrive to make more room for my system?<br>Thanks.

All depends how the backup was taken.&nbsp;&nbsp;At the simplest level, if you create a backup with tar, for example, using the command:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>cd /<br>tar cvfb /dev/rmt/0 20 *<br></font><br>You can read the tape back using:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>tar tvf /dev/rmt/0<br></font><br>This only verifies that you can read the file headers back, though.&nbsp;&nbsp;To completely verify a backup created using tar (or cpio), the only way to do this is to actually restore the backup.<br><br>Unfortunately, this usually isn't very practical on a production system...&nbsp;&nbsp;Some commercial backup offerings off backup validation where a block of data is written to tape, then read back, then compared with the original RAM based copy.<br><br>What we usually do in house is to make sure we have two (or three :) copies of the same backup before we do anything critical to the system.&nbsp;&nbsp;ie, run the same backup multiple times.&nbsp;&nbsp;It adds a large time overhead (got to run the same backup multiple times) but it's worth it, we think :)<br><br>HTH

Thank AndyBo<br><br>It's help, and it is very true about performing on production system, and I still look for a better way to check the backup on tape ;-((<br><br>Anyway, do you have any idea about long files name when backing up on CD (because it takes too much times to check and restore from tapes, so I am thinking about backup on CD - cheaper and faster to restore and I can check the data right away).&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have problem with long file names:&nbsp;&nbsp;After copy them on CD, those files show up ok on CD on window 95, but when I read from UNIX box, they won't show up !!

Where are you creating the CD?&nbsp;&nbsp;Under Windows or Unix?&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, when you mount the CD under Unix, what filesystem format are you specifying?<br><br>IIRC, there are about 4 major CD filesystem formats.&nbsp;&nbsp;It could be that you're mounting the CD using a format that doesn't recognise long file names.

Oh oh!<br><br>I am still very new to UNIX, so I don't know how to check for filesystem format on Solaris (in fact, I don't know what you mean either !!!!!!!!!).&nbsp;&nbsp;I just a user takes over whatever is already set up here.&nbsp;&nbsp;Could you show me how.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks.<br>by the way, we have a dedicate machine (Win 95) to do the CD copying.&nbsp;&nbsp;So I ftp(using Binary, not ASCII) the files from Solaris box on to this PC machine, then from there I cut the CD, however, I check and are able to see all files in that CD on that PC machine, but when I try to restore files from that CD on UNIX box, I can not see any file with long name!!!<br>

We've wandered a little bit off topic here, but I'll try to answer your CD query :)&nbsp;&nbsp;How do you mount the CD on the Solaris box?&nbsp;&nbsp;Please give the full command with all the options that you use.<br><br>I'm able to access CDs that contain long filenames OK on te Solaris servers we have here (Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8).&nbsp;&nbsp;I suspect it's the settings in your Windows CD burner program that are incorrect.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have a look around for &quot;High Sierra&quot; or &quot;ISO9660&quot; in the program settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;IIRC, Microsoft have their own filesytem that kludges the old 8.3 DOS filenames to give long filenames.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's possible the CDs are being burned in this format, and Solaris is only seeing the 8.3 format filenames.<br><br>In the meantime, if things still don't work, why don't you FTP the files from a Windows box back to the Solaris box?&nbsp;&nbsp;I know it will be slower than accessing the CD, but it should be OK as an interim solution.<br><br>HTH.

Thank AndyBo<br>I don't have full right to do any thing (!) on the machine of Windows CD burner, but I will check with my guy.&nbsp;&nbsp;At the meantime, your suggetion about ftp is good.&nbsp;&nbsp;Probably I will do it for a while until I figure out the set up on Windows CD burner.<br><br>You're very helpful

Hi AndyBo<br><br>According to my guy, the setup on Window CD burner is right, which is set up for long file name.&nbsp;&nbsp;So what is the real problem then?<br>By the way, as I said, the set up of the CD on UNIX is set up by someone previously, I actually don't know what is the command the previous person mount it on.!<br>Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back