Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check diskspace for \\servername

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanoens

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2007
US
I log into a server and check the drives (c:, d:) and they list the disk usage. They look fine and seem to have enough free space. However, spiceworks sends a report saying the \\TLS-main server (the one I logged into) is almost all the way full.

Is there a way to check the disk usage of \\TLS-main and not just the c: or d: drives?

The disk full message should say that which drive is full. Check Computer Management, you may have a disk mounted as a folder which is full or something.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Thanks for the quick response mrdenny

here is the message spiceworks sends

One or more of your Windows server(s) is running out of disk space. When
a server does not have enough disk space, it will have problems running
scans and downloading component updates. Refer to the Live Status screen
on your Security Server for further instructions.
Computer: TLS-MAIN Type: Exchange Server
Disk usage: 99.86%

But like I said before, both the C/D drives have a decent amount of room left according to the disk manager. Manager doesnt show mounted drives. When I open \\tls-main in explorer it shows a bunch of shared folders on the network but they reference back to the C: and D: drives

Just seeing if theres a way to look at the disk usage for \\tls-main

thanks

It's probably summing up the values from the C and D drives and screwing up the math.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Or the thresholds for Spiceworks are not set properly. Or you have a huge amount of drive space on the server and you really have less than 1% free space, but because the total amount of space is so large you think you're fine. For example, a server with 3 terabytes of storage with 25 gigabytes of free space has less than 1% free, but probably has plenty of free space available.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Im going to assume its a config problem with spiceworks because my calculations have the server at about 14% free space. I work at an outsourced IT company so I don't know how spiceworks is configured. I will keep my eyes open to any more alerts from them and wont stress til I see them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back