Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check date created on a file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
I want to periodically purge a folder of all files, but I want to keep the last 7 days worth. Problem is, I can't seem to find out how to check/compare the date created/last modified date for the file - any ideas? The files are process control files from a paper machine and have no extension.

somthing like
---------------------------------
Const Mypath = "d:\tmp\"
Dim CurFile As String
CurFile = Dir(Mypath & "*.*")
While CurFile <> &quot;&quot;
If DateDiff(&quot;d&quot;, FileDateTime(Mypath & CurFile), Date) > 7 Then Kill Mypath & CurFile
Wend
should do the trick
Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

sunaj,

Thanks for the tip, but when I run this, I get a &quot;file not found&quot; error - sorry, very inexperienced here

Did you change the path?
p.s. be carefull with this code - it will delete files, for good, on your harddisk! Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Sunaj,
Yep, changed path - it deletes one file and then comes up with the file not found error - a little mystified to be honest with you!

I think you are missing another call to the DIR function just before the WEND statement

WarriorPrincess is absolutely right, the code should read
Const Mypath = &quot;d:\tmp\&quot;
Dim CurFile As String
CurFile = Dir(Mypath & &quot;*.*&quot;)
While CurFile <> &quot;&quot;
If DateDiff(&quot;d&quot;, FileDateTime(Mypath & CurFile), Date) > 7 Then Kill Mypath & CurFile
CurFile = Dir
Wend
--------------------------------- Sunaj

Thanks to both of you - works like a dream - have a star each cos you got me out of a corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back