Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap walmart wireless card not working with D-link DI-614+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewRandle

Technical User
May 27, 2001
US
Ok, I just moved and we had to get a wireless card from walmart to try and save some money. The brand of the PCI card is BLITZZ. It'll connect to the router for about two seconds and sometimes longer and then the connection will drop. I've tried turning off the different encription and turning them on. The router has the wireless access to it in its log and everything. Why would it be dropping the connection?

Thanks in advance!

Lets start without WEP enabled on either the router or the adapter card.

On the router and adapter card disable 802.1x authentication if the options exists. It will certainly be there as an option on the adapter card.

Yeah we tried it both ways. With and without the WEP enabled. Still didn't make a difference. It just drops the connection after a second or two. Though sometimes it'll go longer. It says it is getting good signal strength.

Where are the puter and router in relation to each other?
Is this 802.11b? Do you have cordless phones that operate in the 2.4 Ghz range? How about a microwave oven?
What OS are you using? Did you check for the latest drivers?

More info is needed for an educated answer.

Did you disable 802.1x?
Is the SSID set up correctly to match between router and card?
Is the Channel setting the same between router and card?

I also have a similar problem with another card.
D-link wireless router 614+ with a D-link wireless adapter 520+ on WIN XP PRO works fine. However, I have problems with a Zoom 4105 wireless adapter on a WIN 98SE.
The router and adapter see each other’s MAC. SSID, channel etc. are all identified by the adapter, but it doesn’t get an IP from the router. Manual IP settings for the adapter doesn’t help.
No encryption or anything else.
Any ideas?

11b is fraught with peril... your neighbor's cordless phone, garage door, microwave, the garbage truck, half of the planes in the air, and I'm pretty sure that third "pigeon" from the left has a CIA tracking device, too...

best try repointing the antennas or look for more directional antennae...

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

The Dlink 614+ uses the new TI 22mps chipset which is backwords compatible with prism2 chipsets but I could not find any documentation as to which chipset BLITZZ uses. I do notice walmart is their main distributer so if you purchased it there you should have no trouble taking it back and exchanging it for a dlink 620+ PCI card which will do 22mbps transfers... but its a pain in the *$^ to get working under Linux

For what its worth I have a DLINK router and this BLITZZ Wi-Fi USB device worked instantly with my Tivo while running 64-bit WEP. Of course Tivo runs Linux. However despite much effort I have yet to get this to work with my laptop running Win 2K. However I run Network stumbler which does see the card and shows that it has an awesome signal. What to do?

I have the same problem using a 3Com wireless USB NIC. My Dell Truemobile kan connect to the D-link 614+, but the 3Com NIC will not. The network is detected in win xp, but I can't seem to get an ip of it. A second after detection the network becomes unavailable, then a second after that it becomes available again, and so on, and so on. I have tried with and without WEP, authentication is turned off.

This is driving me insane, any ideas?

Best
Lasse Loevstakken

don't know if this card has any adjustments on it for xmit strength . Most do , set it to 100% instead of auto and see what happens .

I figured it out!!! Go to ADVANCED then PERFORMANCE then disable the 4X MODE. It's on the D-Link user manual. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back