Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap Traffic Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
Our engineering dept. is doing some jobs that require hooking NT based systems to industrial robots using 10BaseT and TCP/IP. They are running into some problems that appear to be network related and don't feel they can adequately troubleshoot with PerfMon. I've been asked to look into Traffic/Protocol Analyzers. I have very little budget. Anyone have any experience with inexpensive models? <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

EtherBoy is (IMHO) <b>The Best Traffic Analyzer</b> around, you can download a trial version at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
This is part of a suite called NetBoy. Here is what the products homepage says about EtherBoy:<br>
<br>
ETHERBOY ALLOWS YOU TO: <br>
<br>
View all traffic on your LAN.<br>
Identify all devices on your LAN including potential security threats.<br>
Fully configure protocol focusing and visualisation.<br>
Define custom protocols.<br>
Zoom in on areas of interest.<br>
Produce reports in text, HTML, data, or Rich Text Format.<br>
Display real-time traffic statistics and protocol breakdowns on individual hosts.<br>
Monitor individual hosts and links.<br>
Customise alarm triggers.<br>
Obtain full protocol summaries for each link<br>
<br>
The only problem is the price. I am not sure exactly HOW little of a budget you are talking about, but the full version of this package is somewhere aroun a thousand dollars. However, it really is the best I have seen.<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

We have been trying Distributed Observer from Network Instruments and it seems very capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back