Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap software site - dependable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2004
US
I recently got an email from a company called OEM Software. They have a lot of programs really cheap, such as Photoshop CS for 100$. OEM Software

Does anyone know if they are reliable?

Thanks

I know thats why I had to ask about it. They have a lot of sofware thats less the 1/4 the original price. Macromedia Studio MX 2004- retail 980$, they have it for 180$.

These sites are illegal. OEM software can't be sold in this manner, it should be bundled with hardware. I believe there are ways to get round the OEM issues but I'm not going to discuss them here and I would advise you to stay away from it.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

OEM
abbr.
original equipment manufacturer.

original equipment manufacturer
n. Abbr. OEM
A company that purchases computers or other complex components from manufacturers, adds other hardware or software, and sells the systems, often for specific applications.

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

I recently got an email...
You mean you got a Spam and decided to follow it, now you want to know if it's legitimate. It's a Spam...probably not.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
Beer Consumption Analyst

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

I was pretty sure it wasn't legit, but hell, photoshop cs for 100$!! Had to atleast check it out.

probably the software equivolent of those videos you can get on the street the day after a movie is released... you know the ones where you can see someone sitting down in the theater with their popcorn...

[conehead]

like MST3K?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

yeah - just like that... except with the software you'd have someone making sarcastic remarks about your work...

[conehead]

$100 for Photoshop CS = ILLEGAL

Photoshop, since 7.0, can call home code written into the software which keeps software from being installed on more computers than it is licensed for. I upgraded my comp recently and had to jump through hoops to transfer the license.

My bet is that the software is a legitimate copy of PS, but when you install it Adobe will keep the key DLL's from being installed. Furthermore, since it is pirated software the serial numbers are probably already recorded at Adobe. Therefore, the feds may be knocking on your door.

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

Wullie,

Yes, been a while buddy! I have been swamped in at [Major Auto Company]. The ever shrinking IT department is making us work 3-4 jobs!

I will be hanging out for a while. I miss this board!

Good chatting with you!

Drop by my site and let me know if you need anything:
Email me at "mbarone1" using above domain. Let's touch base.

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back