Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap Linux running NAS appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm2k

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2006
US
Hi, I'm looking for a cheap NAS appliance that runs Linux. What I'm after is something like those little boxes from Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo, etc...compact and standalone, not a PC.

I don't need it to support a whole bunch of hard drives, maybe just two in RAID 1 would be sufficient. Gigabit ethernet too. It would be great if the device ran a semi-standard Debian distro, or would support one with little effort.

The primary purpose of the device would be for backup.

Suggestions?

How about the Linksys NSLU2. It can be reflashed with Linux SlugOS firmware which allow you ssh access and you can install other packages on it. It supports two external USB drives but does not support mirroring out of the box. However, when running the SlugOS firmware you are able to software mirror two drives. It is extremely cheap. The same firmware also runs on the Synology DS101, the Iomega NAS100d and the D-Link DSMG600.

If you want to build something bigger and want Linux have a look at

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

I use FreeNAS from It works great and is based on FreeBSD. Can be installed on a flash drive (32MB yes MB) or a full distro installed on a HD.

I would as well advise freeNas in this case. Install on a powerfull server, add some fast disks, and you will have a good cheap nas device.

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

LeeMason: thanks, I'll look into SlugOS.

I know about FreeNAS, but I specifically do not want a standard PC solution. I'm looking for an appliance that can run my existing backup scripts. Cheap, low power, passively cooled if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back