Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap CCNA Router Simulator? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscomeo

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
US
Hi there,

Does anyone know any cheap effective good router simulator for CCNA?

Thanks..

How about free? Dynamips/Dynagen with GNS3 as a graphical front end. Here's a tutorial...

You will need actual IOS's though...IOS Hunter can find older IOS's...so far, the Cisco lawyers have not stopped them...lol

Burt

Incidentally, GNS3 is a front-end for the Dynagen "Emulator" and although this is not a simulator it will still do what you are asking! Just wanted to be specific there Burt.. LoL

Also, as Buirt and CiscoG pointed out to me it looks like Cisco may release PacketTracer to the public.. Will have to wait and see!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

ciscomeo,

As Billy brought up - if Packet Tracer is EVER released to the public by Cisco (it is used in the Cisco Network Academies - students get to download it there for FREE) it is one fine sim that I wouldn't mind paying for .....

However, sims and emulators are GREAT but working on REAL Cisco routers and switches in your own lab is best.

You did not say anything about your background, I have taught CCNA in a Cisco Network Academy since 1999, those that did best (that did not work with the technology daily) were those that had an end-to-end lab IE - a computer hooked to a switch that is hooked to a router that is connected to another router that has a switch hanging off it with another PC connected to it. These people learned about IP addressing, Windows, Linux, Cisco, configs, cables, rack ears etc. - EVERYTHING NETWORKING :)

Just a thought from someone who has seen a lot of people both pass and fail the exams .....

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for the link B! I actually went to a netacad, Gene teaches one, Buirt has a back-door allowing access to every software resource available online, Todd has an actual CCO account and Bill was hacking away at crypto before there was a Cisco so we are pretty good here but there are many who will be googleing for a Packet Tracer 5 free download!!!

Incidentally PT5 is pretty much useless for CCNA Security/Wireless/Voice studies but nice for CCNA!!! I was trying to set up a Site-to-Site VPN via the CLI (no Gre-tunneling) and made it as far as "crypto"... LoL I thought that was hilarious!!

Incidentally I can configure both the ISAKMP IKE Phase 1 as well as the IPSec IKE Phase 2 via the CLI by memory at this point but we will see if that helps me out on the CCNA Security! I will start getting cocky when I can configure a ZBF (Zone-Based Firewall) with an IN/OUT and a DMZ (or 2) via CLI from memory!!! Only like 400+ commands involved there! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

I was reading my Cisco Network Academy news last night and it seems they will be putting CCNA Security into the Academies this summer. They seem to have said they will have a "beta" release to the instructors/academies in April so we can see the structure of the curreculum. If it is anything like CCNA it will be GREAT!!!

Also Packet Tracer 5.2 is in "beta" also - seems that they will need to have it to do lots of the CCNA Security stuff - equipment pods are very high for security and in this economy and with budget cuts at most schools, I think more and more work will be done on sims :-(

Also, they still have never posted the Wireshark videos, I am sure they will soon as they get closer to the roll out!

E.A. Broda

I expect they will.. Cisco is an awesome company and with that they never rush anything... normally.. LoL But that is good news.. The lack of route redistribution support in PT4? was what prompted me to try GNS3 and the massive amount of GNS3/Dynagen/Dynamips upkeep prompted the real lab! LoL Was a good thing in the long run as the lab really is the best bet!

I am not so sure that lab equipment will decline in sales (demand).. The economy has produced some interesting results.. IT is up! Increase in IT majors nation-wide.. And more people trying to certify/change jobs. Plus President Obama's stimilus is estimated to create some one-million IT jobs! Go figure the information age is finding itself in need of individuals qualified to process/route/switch/secure/store et. al. that information.. LoL

Really hope they do something with those WireShark videos.. same goes for NMAP! Well, have to get back to work! Tons of studying to do before tomorrow! I really feel as if I have rushed this one! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

I always felt that the step to CCNP for MOST of my students and for that matter most of the people who take the time out for CCNA is a lot. I think the Voice, Security and Wireless will give them more background with the routers and IOS. I think it was a good move for Cisco and for the people wanting to move forward with technology.

E.A. Broda

I agree Gene.. I was talking to my Uncle earlier and he asked what I planned on working on after the CCNA Security.. told him either CCDA or CCNA Wireless... Would prefer a cert that revolves more around theory since I will be away from my lab a lot!

Well, that's it! The dice have been thrown... What I know now is what I will be carrying in with me to the exam tomorrow! About to go to the store to buy my traditional two Red Bulls! (I missed the only exam that I didn't follow this tradition.. LoL) Wish me luck guys!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

You forgot to say if you used Pass for sure or Test King :) :) JUST KIDDING - I KNOW Billy did it RIGHT with TONS of lab work and reading many different books and websites....

So anyone reading this - Billy will list his study guides, and he has already talked about his lab DO IT RIGHT!!

Good luck Billy!!!

E.A. Broda

I posted the tools that I used for CCNA R&S in a document on the CLN website.. I will post the Security tools both here and there.. I think that I would rate SDM highest on the list so far (that may change tomorrow) LoL But everything I have watched/read says 'do ..... from the SDM' (Jeremy Cioara/Chris Bryant) so I have been playing around with it like crazy! Especially where ZBF, IPS and VPNs are concerned! Really wanted to lab a DMVPN and a SSL VPN but neither seem to be exam material so I avoided playing! Incidentally GRE is not either although it's SOOOOOO easy! (Via SDM that is.. slightly more involved via the CLI)!

As of right now I list these as best tools for CCNA Security:
~CiscoPress Official Exam Certification Guide
~Either Cioara or Bryant videos (I used both)
~LAB (SDM does not work with PacketTracer or Boson and I have never personally set it up with GNS3 although I have read that it is possible) NOTE: There is an SDM Sales Demo but it is not Vista/Linux/Mac compatible so need Server 2k3 or XP!
~This may be my downfall but I did not use the ACS demo to lab TACACS+/RADIUS but I paid special attention to the configs (on the router) as well as the theory! ACS is kind of involved to set up and I was on a time limit the last month or so! Plus ACS config is not a CCNA Security topic.. it's CCSP so wanted to save my demo! LoL

All in all I feel pretty good but would have loved two more weeks to study! Even one but we move next week! Will be in Florida soon Gene!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back