Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap and inexpensive way to cluster? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2001
US
I've heard rumors of people using a SCSI Y Cable and two Adaptec 2940's with a single SCSI HD to create a shared storage media. Has anyone been able to do this with MSCS? I want to setup a cluster test environment and I dont want to touch our Xiotech SANd Box. Thanks

I have just done the exact thing successfully on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I used a y connector to a 4 bay storage shelf with 4 9gb scsi drives. The two controllers were a 2940 (SCSI ID 6) and a 2940uw (SCSI ID 7). Dual NICs and Dual SCSI cards in both machines with 1 (x2) 9gb drives for the OS. It works a treat with successful failover and no problems encountered.

Can I ask where you go the Y cable? I can't find one.

good question id like to find one too. My idea is to have 2 pc's each with ide drives for OS and then each have a scsi card and hook into 1 external scsi hard drive. this will of course be for lab / test purposes only. Do youo think this should work as long as everything is on the microsoft HCL??
thanks

You don't need a "Y-Cable"....... Just an "internal" cable with enough connectors for both controllers and the drives you want to share. Terminate both controllers, set their SCSI ID's differently, run the cable between 'em, and plug your drives in, making sure that there are no ID conflicts. Works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back