Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHDSK Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightstar

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
Hi, iev seen this problem talked about a few time sbut up till now no decent answers.

all of a sudden, literally, my WIN XP Pro machine rebooted itself, then got stuck in a loop of re-starting, rebooting etc.

i turned off the machine, went back to it a minute later and it ran chkdsk. didnt report ay errors, but it didnt restart like it said it would. so i had to manually reboot it again.
this ahppens everyother time i turn on the mashine, and i cant defrag it with diskeeper until its finished a chkdsk run.
manually running chdks doesnt help either.

help!

free, anonymous advice provided by the whole world

Clear the "dirty" bit on the volume use chkntfs c: /x

Chkntfs
Displays or specifies whether automatic system checking is scheduled to be run on a FAT, FAT32, or NTFS volume when the computer is started.

Syntax
chkntfs volume: [...]

chkntfs [/d]

chkntfs [/t[:time]]

chkntfs [/x volume: [...]]

chkntfs [/c volume: [...]]

Parameters
volume: [...]
Required. Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name. Displays a message that identifies the file system of the specified volume. If automatic file checking is scheduled to be run, this parameter displays a message indicating whether the volume has been corrupted, which requires you to run chkdsk.
/d
Restores all chkntfs default settings, except the countdown time for automatic file checking. Default behavior is to check all volumes when the computer is started.
/t[:time]
Changes the Autochk.exe initiation countdown time to the specified amount of time entered in seconds. If you do not specify :time, /t displays the current countdown time.
/x volume: [...]
Excludes the specified volume from being checked when the computer starts, even if the volume is marked as requiring chkdsk.
/c volume: [...]
Schedules the specified volume to be checked when the computer starts.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.

To know if you've got a file system error, you can type the following
command at the command prompt:

fsutil dirty query c: (replace c: with your drive letter)

If the response is that the volume is dirty, then a file system error has
occurred, and Chkdsk should run automatically at startup to fix the errors

May help: Disable or Enable CheckDisk Upon Boot (Line 82)

218461 - Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows 2000

831426 - Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your computer

283340 - Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume

316506 - Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back