Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chat applet made, what port do I use?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKovacic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
US
I have a java chat applet hooked to my site, but I dont know what port to use. The program asks for 5557, but that didnt work, so I tried random ports. Anyone know what I should try?

Here is the site example:

Thanx in advance!!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Well, it is hosted by powweb.com and they wont offer me any help because it was not made by them. The problem I am running into is that the chatroom will not connect because it needs a port. Check out the link and try to get into the chatroom and you will see the error...

Thanx!

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Applet or Server or Servlet? If it's strictly an applet, then unless that code is signed, I don't think it has the capability to be a chat server. Applets have special security restrictions on them such as not allowing network access (Sockets) or local file access unless they're signed. Now if it's a server, then the hosting site has to run the server application and if it's a servlet, they have to either provide a way for you to install it or install it themselves. Hope that clarifies things a bit. - JavaDude32

Actually, I am not sure what one it would classify under. I know it works off a JAR file... any ideas?

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Alright, an applet is like an embedded application put into a web document.

A servlet generates an html page and works on the server side to generate content.

A server is pretty much a standalone product that waits for and accepts connections.

If you mean when you run it on your computer from the JAR file, then it's prolly a server I'm guessing, which you won't be able to hook into a website.

Than it is an applet. How do I get it "signed" ?

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

I'm not really clear on this, but try this:

Look up Public and Private Keys and Certificates on Google. You'll need a Certifying Authority who will provide you with a certificate of Identity and a key that you can use keysigner or jarsigner (something like that) to sign the jar file with your certificate. This is to have people be able to identify the code as coming from an identifible source, namely, yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back