Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart - XY Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysimm

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
GB
I am using Approach 9.5 and wish to use a proper x/y chart for displaying price trends. The problem that I am getting is that I can not get Approach to display a proper XY chart.

I know that I can export the data to Excel and get a proper XY chartbut I would like to keep it all in Approach.

Any ideas to solve the scaling on the x axis?

Thanks in advance.

Following suggestions by Sam Lewis on xpertss.com I have added in the Date field to one of the series plotted and then hidden the series.

i.e. X Axis is Date, Y Axis is Price and Date (Date not plotted)

(This I agree does not look logical but it works!)

It all works fine except that the X axis is a 6figue number i.e. 732600

No problem I thought just change the X Axis format to "Date" then 732600 is converted to 30/09/1905

I have done a lot of tests and found that the only way to get the date correct is to do a calculated field and use this field on the graph.

GraphDate = Date + 36905

Then Plot
X axis GraphDate
Y Axis GraphDate (not displayed) and Price

Then I can change the X axis format type to Date and Major ticks =365.25, minor ticks =(365.25/12)

I have to admit I can not see where 36905 comes from but my tests seem to have this as a relatively good match with Real Date.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back