Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyJayEL

Technical User
Jan 30, 2001
GB
I have a database that logs children under school age that have special needs. One of the bar charts they have asked for is how old was the child when they first encountered them. I can produce that fine. I have sorted them into 6 month 'chunks', so - under 6 months, 6 - 12 months, 1 year to 1 yr 6 months etc. And it works quite well. Now they have asked me if I can get it to show where there weren't any children in a group. For instance from 2 years to 2 yrs 6 months no children were started. They would want that column to show 0, instead it doesn't show at all.

Also if they choose a short timeline for instance only the children started in the last 3 months (therefore only a few) the lines at the side of the chart show 1, 1.5 etc which looks a bit odd, you can't have half a child after all!

Can anyone help?
Learn something new every day *:->*

For the first problem,
In the design view of the chart, double-click the chart to call up Microsoft Graph, and set options in Excel to show all values evenif they are zero (right click on the axis and look for the appropriate option).
For the second problem, I am still thinking!

for your second problem--
go into design of the chart
double click on the Y-Axis, or right-click on Y-Axis and choose Format Axis.
in the SCALE tab make the minor unit 1 (right now it probably says '.5'). it will uncheck the check box, meaning it will no longer create this value on-the-fly according to what the data is and how it percieves it should display that data for you. instead it will use the number you typed in.

oh--you might have to change major unit to 1 also...you'll have to mess around with it to see how it all goes.

good luck--g

Thank you GingerR your tip worked.

AccessGuru, again thank you but of course when I looked into it I can see why your bit won't work for me. When I look at the graph's datasheet it shows that it has counted how many children are aged between 1 yr and 18mnths etc. If there are no children in an age range it doesn't count them and so they are not there to show as a zero. Does that make sense? So somehow I need to get the query to show a zero for a category. Maybe it's something to do with outer joins. I'll go back and have a fiddle with the query and see if I can do it that way, unless you know another way.... Learn something new every day *:->*

Ok just checked out the outer join thingy. That won't work! I'm only using one main table!! I'd forgotten. How can I do this? Do I need to give up? Help for a lady in distress please.

Andrea Learn something new every day *:->*

add another field to the query
make it

Code:
=iif([OrigCount] is null,0,[OrigCount])

dont show the orig field in the result, only show this new one.

g

GingerR

My chart is based on a select query with only two fields in it. (It was created using a wizard based on the select query). The first field is DateVisitingCeased which has a between dates bit in the criteria based on a calendar form. The other field is DAge which shows that the child is aged 1yr to 1yr 6 months, 2yr 6 months to 3 yrs etc (Calculated from a calculated Age field).

I tried changing it to a Crosstab query in order to do what you suggested but this didn't work either I'm afraid. (It works to a certain extent but because DAge isn't a number but text it flummoxed it I think.)

I am fairly sure that the reason I can't get it working is because in essence it is a flat file, ie only one table.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for all your help so far.

Andrea

Learn something new every day *:->*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back