Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charindex

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsavitha

MIS
Jan 28, 2011
GB
Dear all,

Declare @key varchar(100)
Set @key = 'Total Price including Commission at This Level: '

Select
SUBSTRING(calculation,start,finish-start)
From
(
Select
calculation,
start = charindex(@key,calculation,1)+LEN(@key)+1,
finish = charindex(' ',calculation,charindex(@key,calculation,1)+LEN(@key)+1)
From pr_cal
) A

Result:
It returns few rows for eg:
-3.6847058823529411764705882353<br
-7.4565766786786564342346795345<br
-3.6842684690456865422468005352<br

and then i got "Invalid length parameter passed to the LEFT or SUBSTRING function" error

Please any one can let me know, How to amend this Query to avoid the above error and i need only value for ex -3.684.Thanks.

Regards,
SG

Code:
Declare @key varchar(100)
Set @key = 'Total Price including Commission at This Level: '

Select case when Start>0 and Finish > 0 and Finish > Start then
SUBSTRING(calculation,start,finish-start) else Calculation end
From
(
Select 
calculation,
start = charindex(@key,calculation,1)+LEN(@key)+1,
finish = charindex(' ',calculation,charindex(@key,calculation,1)+LEN(@key)+1)
From pr_cal 
) A

We need to make sure each record conforms the above pattern - if not, we need to add a check for Start, Finish.

PluralSight Learning Library

Thanks for your reply markros

I try to execute the script, it returns the whole string as it is.Its not extracting the integer value.Please let me know how to amend the query further.

Reagrds,
SG

Can you post some sample data? It should work OK as long as your Calculation field contains the string you showed.

Also, I suggest to include both values (Finish, Start) in the list of fields, then you'll see the problem.

PluralSight Learning Library

Hi Markors,

Logic:-

I have a 'calculation' coulmn(datatype:test) in pr_cal table.In this coulmn a big string is stored. for eg:

Begin Calculationis <br />\n<br simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard galley Total Price including Commission at This Level: 7.6847058823529411764705882353 the leap into is simply been the industry's standard dummy text Gross Price with Surcharges : 6.14
It Lorem Ipsum survived not only nProduct Price including Commission: 5.68627 five centuries, but also the leap into since the 1500s, when an unknown Total Price including Commission at This Level: 17.14567335 scrambled it to make a type specimen book.Total Price including Commission at This Level: 27.6847 <br />\n<br />\nEnd Quote Calculation<br />\n"

I need to extract the value next to 'Total Price Including Commision at this level: " here it be 7.684 and need to store in seperate column.

Note:This "Total Price Including Commision at this level" string may occurs many time in the text. I need to get the value next to first one.

Regards,
SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back