Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charging for Website build and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
I've built websites for friends in the past, but have now had a request to quote for building one for genuine cash money.

I have no idea how to work out how much this ought to cost them though. I'm reasonably slow at doing the work (which doesn't bother them) so I don't want to charge by the hour as that would feel unfair.

I'll be using Joomla and basically building them a template and helping them learn how to add content.

Any advice guys?

(Oh, I'm in the UK if that helps...)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

>I'm reasonably slow at doing the work (which doesn't bother them) so I don't want to charge by the hour

Why not charge by the hour? So long as your hourly rate is adjusted for your speed, it seems fair. Likewise, you can exclude unproductive (cos you are learning) hours from your final bill.

I'd be cautious about flat rate, because you have be very tight about specifications / requirements (you should anyway) and what constitutes "extras"

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Or.... I could charge the 'going' rate and reduce the time spent to make it more feasible. I guess that doesn't make me look so much like I'm learning as I go too.

Thanks Matt.

Fee

Charge by the hour, no question! They will invariably request enhancements or ask you to make revisions.

Give them an estimate, and clearly say "this is my estimate for the first draft." You never know what they will ask you to do later.

Thanks guys!

Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back