Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Char Map ActiveX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristarco

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
MX
I'm working in a small program where the user should be able to pick a char from a font so it can be used as a marker in a map (like a star, a smiley, a flag, a car). I've found a control to be used with vb .net, but I'm not using .net and I don't want exessive features. Just a char map-style grid with the symbols available in the font that returns the code of the selected symbol. Like the Glyphs window in Illustrator. Is there a control available out there? I couldn't find it googleing it. Should I start coding it by myself?

To boldly code, where no programmer has compiled before!

?wingdings font?

I have some cartographic fonts from ESRI, and I'd like to have a char map embedded in my app, so the user picks the marker. I've solved the problem using a listbox containing chars 33 to 255 and showing them in the font selected from another listbox. Still, I'd like to have a grid, just like the char map utility from windows. Any help?

To boldly code, where no programmer has compiled before!

Use a MSFlexgrid maybe. With a MSFlexgrid called fg1 set to 16 columns and 14 rows:
Code:
Dim intC As Integer
With fg1
For intC = 33 To 255
.TextMatrix((intC - 33) \ 16, (intC - 33) Mod 16) = Chr$(intC)
Next intC

The character clicked can then be picked with the TextMatrix property
Code:
Private Sub fg1_Click()
MsgBox fg1.TextMatrix(fg1.Row, fg1.Col)
End Sub

Note that most fonts are NOT redistributable - check your license agreement carefully before using them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back