Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaning Outlook Exchange Server Name - different org

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeyw

MIS
Jul 18, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I currently have an Exchange 5.5 site and an Exchange 2000 site both housed in different Exchange organisations.

We're using Quest FastLane Migrator to migrate the mailbox data between the two organisations - this works fine.

However, once we've moved the mailbox from the Exchange 5.5 to the Exchange 2000 organisation we're looking for an automated manner in which to update each user's Outlook profile such that the profile uses the Exchange 2000 mail server.

We had proposed migrating all of the data off the Exch 5.5 server onto Exch 2000 in different site, switching off the Exch 5.5 server and then modifying the DNS entry for our Exch 5.5 server such that it resolves to the TCP/IP address of the Exch 2000 server.

From a DNS perspective this works fine, however Outlook does not successfully update Exchange Server name in the existing user profiles the next time Outlook opens. It states it is unable to open the default e-mail servers.

If I modify the existing profile (e.g. remove one letter from the mailbox name) and click check name it resolves the old Exch 5.5 server name to be the new Exch 2000 server name and finds the mailbox.

Similarly, if I create a new outlook profile with the Exch 5.5 server name and identical mailbox name, it resolves the old Exch 5.5 server name to be the new Exch 2000 server name and finds the mailbox.

We don't want to manually go around to each of our workstation, so any suggestions really welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian.

I do not know if you still have this problem as you posted it a while ago!!

One way to fix this is to use the Microsoft tool modprof.exe. It allows you to create and modify outlook profiles remotely and automatically using text configuration files. We use it publish Outlook via Citrix so that as each user connects to the application the default profile points at their personal profile.

You could build it into a login script (or schedule it to run once) so that it changes the profile when the user logs in.

Thanks - I'll give this a try.
Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back