Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing word document icon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn9

Technical User
Sep 23, 2001
How can I change the word document icon on a word document to another icon. For eg if I save a word document it automatically saves with the word icon, if I needed to change that icon how would I go about doing that.

That icon is assigned to the .DOC extension by Windows (Not to the document itself). You would need to change the icon for all .DOC files. (not recommended)

Played with it, got it to work. Maybe someone has another way, but try this:

1. Create your *.doc file.
2. Change its extension from "doc" to something no program uses (I tried "cha" and had no problems).
3. Change its icon using any available 3rd party icon changer (I use Microangelo).
4. Double click on it, and when you get the "Windows cannot open this file:" window, select "Select the program from a list" and the select Word.

Quite amusing what you can do with this little routine.

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

I changed the extension of the word docoment. Got a icon changer program and changed a graphic to an icon but the document properties does not give me an option to change icons

I suspect the software you acquired was an icon editor or creator; you need the ability to change an object's icon that Microangelo ( and other similar programs have. Most of these will add a menu item to the right-click menu, like Microangelo's "appearance" or Icon Changer's "change icon" that gives you this ability.

Finding a free one may take some doing, but most of the ones I've seen have a trial period.

Hi,

Another option that you could use is to create a shortcut to the original word document. You can then change the icon of the shortcut. Quick and easy and no fees involved.

Matt Smith

No two nulls are the same

Matt: For one-off files, your solution is perfect--one of those "why didn't I think of that" solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back