Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Windows 2000 Start Up Screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeleaumont

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
Greetings,

We have a computer that is in a multi-user environment and someone has changed the start up screen (the one that shows up just before the desktop loads) and has placed a very obscene image there. I have been searching and searching for a way to get rid of this and can't seem to come up with any legit answers.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought that this file resided in the System 32 folder but I'm not sure what it would be called. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again folks,
Don

"If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. That's the deal."
-Kevn Kinney

Please excuse my improper use of terms. It is the "image" that loads up just before the actual set wallpaper loads. I hope this makes a bit more sense!

Thanks,
Don

"If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. That's the deal."
-Kevn Kinney

Open notepad and copy paste the below, save the file as fix_wallpaper.reg :

********** start copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Pattern"="(None)"
"TileWallpaper"="0"
"Wallpaper"="(None)"
"WallpaperStyle"="0"
"OriginalWallpaper"=""

************ end copy/paste above this line

Double-click the saved file to merge with your registry and reboot to test.

To add to a logon script, add the line:

regedit /s fix_wallpaper.reg

I think Don is referring to the boot screen (the one that normally shows Windows 2000). There is a free utility called Bootskin that makes it easy to alter this screen - this may be what happened when someone changed this on you...

Here's a link to one way to fix this:

Here's a link to where you can d/l BootSkin:

....Hope this helps!

WinNT, WIn2k and WinXP have several background and wallpaper settings prior to loading the final desktop. One is used for the logon screen, and one is used as the default for the case when no one logs on.

The above .reg file, easily pushed in logon scripts, will set these wallpapers and backgrounds to their defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back