Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing where XP creates NEW user profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroostook

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2005
US
I'm trying to get XP SP3 to create user profiles for brand-new users on a different drive. I don't care about existing profiles. I don't need to move them. I just need all subsequent profiles on D:.

The only things I've found that relate to changing the default location are to either 1. use sysprep (not rolling out a new desktop, so this doesn't work), or 2. alter HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList...which only KIND OF works. I change the setting for the default user, and suddenly new users being created cannot log in unless I copy C:\Documents and Settings\Default User to D:. However, even after doing that, I've noticed that my existing user(s) cannot add or remove programs, or access other things in teh Control Panel (i.e., administrative tools). Double-clicking them (or right clicking and selecting Open) causes *nothing* to happen.

I've been able to do this before and make it work so that new profiles would be created on a different drive WITHOUT breaking existing profiles, but damned if I can find anyplace on the Internet that can give me a clear answer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You have a valid question, but you should also state WHY you are trying to do this (your goal) so that we can get the big picture and maybe suggest a different method to accomplish your goal.

Ok.

I'm locking down the C: drive with a program called Deep Freeze. This computer is for public use, and I'm trying to mitigate any potential damage to it from improper usage.

I suppose the Guest account is out of the question?

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

That would also work, but that's what I got Deep Freeze for. I just want it to lock the system partition (C:). The D: drive I don't want restored to a previous state. Hence, why I want all new users created on the machine to automagically be created on the D: drive.

I know it can be done. I've done it before. I'm just damned if I can remember how, and the Googles don't help.

:-(

Yeah, I don't know how to do what you're trying to get done, but I can say that I'm utterly confused with how you have things set up and why you're trying to do it with a C: and a D:, but don't bother to explain it all I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back