Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing User and Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

walks

Technical User
May 7, 2001
CA
I just recently got a little server box running 2000 server. I picked it up off my brother and am wanting to hook it up into my home network. Essetially what I want is it to act as a webserver/fileserver, I dont want it as a domain controller or anything else, just a webserver. However my bro had it set up to be a domain controller and I have absolutly no idea how to change it. Is this possible without formatting the thing? Cause if not then Ill have to install Windows 2000 professional on it as I dont have the Server CD, my bro does.

Also the name of the computer surprisngly enough is already in use by another computer in this network. Im sure if the above can get changed Ill be able to change the name but if I cant do the above is it possible to just change the name? I have just bought a Windows server book which I will be reading in the next couple weeks but just thought I would ask these questions.

Anyhelp or a link to some help would be GREATLY appricated.

Hey bud,

Its easy once you know :) Just go Start>Run>dcpromo and it starts a wizard that will demote the server to a stand-alone server. Doing this will remove ay user accounts from the domain etc. but it doesnt sound like you are worried about that.

Just post again if you need more info.

Cheers & have fun!
[smurf]

You should be able to demote the server using dcpromo. When you do this though, you will lose all of you active directory structure (user accounts, computer accounts, ect..) that are on that server.

This is the Tech information from Microsoft on this:

---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional
---------------------------------------

Ummm its good but now I cant log in with the password I was using to get into it, is there a default 2000 Server pass? Also the link above takes me to a dead link

Nevermind about the link thing, I realized why it was leading me to a dead link...I still havent been able to solve the username/Pass deal.

During dcpromo doesn't it prompt you for a new administrator password? [smurf]

OH *SLAP* of course it did, Im a jackass lol

All in this field are at one time or another, myself included. Good luck. (Might want to re-consider running as a plain server, setting up a domain can give you benifits and experience.) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Accident is the name of the greatest of all inventors."
Mark Twain (1835-1910), U.S. author.

I think with due time thats what Im going to do. Im gonna go through this MCSE book and learn everything first and once I move to go to College Ill be sure to set this up. Thanks to all once again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back