Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing to a Private IP Addressing Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydny

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
We are getting ready to change the IP addresses of our entire network. We currently have 3 locations connected by point to point T1's. The 1st location is using the scheme 198.210.200.x. The 2nd 200.200.20.x and the 3rd 200.200.30.x These are public addresses but we are using NAT behind a firewall. We are looking to change to a private IP addressing scheme using 192.168.10.x, 192.168.20.x and 192.168.30.x. We have a mixed NT 4.0 and 2000 Server environment with a single domain. There are 3 Windows 2000 domain controllers, an exchange 2000 server and a Citrix Server. We are running DNS & WINS on the servers and all of our workstations have static addresses.
My question is, what would be the best way to go about making this switch to a private addressing scheme? What order do I need to do things in? What obstacles will I be facing and how should I solve them? I am planning to do the switch one location at a time. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!!!!

These are public addresses but we are using NAT behind a firewall." ....
"We are running DNS & WINS on the servers and all of our workstations have static addresses."

I do not blame you for wanting to sort this out. I am curious as to why not go to DHCP at this point, with reservations for the servers?

I should note too that forum950 could yield a lot of good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back