Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the way the start button display its list

Status
Not open for further replies.

guscottg

Technical User
Mar 14, 2001
GB
The number of programs that I have on my computer has grown so that when I select programs from the start menu button I have to scroll down to find the program I want. Is there a way of changing this behavour so that the list can be displayed in columns across the screen as per Windows NT.

Hi. I don't know, but I'll tell you what I user to do. I'd make a folder for each specific type program on my desktop. One for database programs, one for Telecom etc. Then Right click on Start, open Programs, then the appropriate sub folder, if necessary. Then open the desktop folder, right click and hold on the program icon and drag it to the desktop folder. Choose "create shortcut here". Then you'd have all your different program functions in one window which can be manipulated any way you choose. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

yes it can be arranged so that it opens in columns rather than scrolls. but i am afraid i am unsure of the command sequence, so i cannot advise further. i am however sure that one of the other users here will be able to help you.

sorry

Open Regedit and find the following key:[tt]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced[/tt]

Change the [tt]StartMenuScrollPrograms[/tt] value to "NO" (without the quotes).

Don't try this unless you are well versed in registry editing.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com​

To add to the Alt255 post, you can do the same under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which will then apply to all users of this system (if it is more then one).

As far as I know that is the way that windows is set up to run and there is no way to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back