Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the resolution of a laptop attached to a monitor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlyshiza

Programmer
May 14, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

Maybe it's a dum question but when it comes to the hardware I am an absolute dummy :)

I have a sony laptop with "ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2X(A21/2)" video card, the default lcd screen is broken(can't afford to fix it:-( ) so I use my laptop as a desktop and attach it to a 19" monitor. The max resolution I can get is 1024*768; if I set the resolution higher the screen goes out of the boundaries of the monitor. Is usually the resolution that laptop video cards provide fixed? Is there anyway that I can get a higher resolution, it's pretty awkward to look at a 19" monitor with such a resolution.
Thanks,

Have you have looked for newer drivers on ati's website?
Your graphics chipset is rather old anyway, so I'd guess 1024*768 is the best you can get.

thanks for the reply,

Actually the ATI doesn't provide drivers for notebooks and it says get the drivers from the manufacturer of the notebook. Eventually I couldn't find any driver update for my video card from manufacturer site(sony) either.

well since its ATI mobility, it probably can only support the resolution of the built in LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back