Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the password in the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2001
US
I have lost the admin. password and need to change it through the registry. Can anyone tell me how. I have no clue.

You can't change passwords in the registry as far as I know. If someone know of a way I would love to hear it because it would be one heck of a big security hole.

No you can't - but there are methods & hacks to remove/ replace existing password without knowing it - covered many times here.

Joc,

Yeah - sorry, when you were off the forum for a few days, I thought I'd cover for you - forgot you were back!

There is software that will allow you to logon through DOS and change the password. ERD Commander will allow this. I am not sure where you can obtain this.

Little advice, next time, setup another user perhaps yourself with admin priv. and don't forget your password.
That way if you do forget the admin password you can log on as yourself and change it...handy to think a bit ahead of the game :>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back