Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the order of a name in a column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmasterw

Programmer
Apr 13, 2003
US
Hi
I have a column that has the name of our customers like Last name, First name, Middle Initial; SMITH, JIM E. I need it to be In this form:
Jim, E, Smith and as I am showing here, I also need it to go from Upper case to title case. If anyone as an idea how I can automatically change this, especially the order of the name, I would really appreciate it.
Thank You

Try this itmasterw:

=SUBSTITUTE(PROPER(TRIM(MID($A1,SEARCH(",",$A1)+2,255)&", "&MID($A1,1,SEARCH(",",$A1)-1)))," ",", ",1)

WARNING! New virus! [wink] BILL GATES VIRUS - This dominant strain searches for desirable features in all other viruses via the internet. It then either engulfs the competing viruses or removes their access to computers until they die out.

This worked great. Thank You Is there any way to do the second part aoutomaticly. That is change the case to title case?
Thank You again

Look at the PROPER function

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back