Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the name of a Domain Controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
We have 2 Domain controllers and I have a new server that will replace the First DC. I have actually already added the new server to the domain as a third DC thinking I could transfer all of the server roles of the first DC to the new DC, but I need the new DC to have the same name and IP as the one it is replacing. My problem is how to change the name of the new DC after I remove the old server from the network.

For reference I will refer to the First DC (which will be replaced) as DC1; I will refer to the second DC (which will remain in place and unchanged) as DC2; and I will refer to the new DC (which is to replace DC1) as DC3.

Let me know if the following steps will work:
1. Run DCPROMO to change DC3 back into a member server.

2. Transfer all of the roles of DC1 to DC2 (I will need to figure that one out as well since I'm not sure exactly which roles are automatically assigned to the first DC of a domain)

3. Remove DC1 from network.

4. Rename DC3 with the name and IP of DC1, then run DCPROMO and make DC3 the second DC.

5. Transfer all of the roles DC1 had from DC2 to DC3

That seems like it may be a little convoluted, but would it work to accomplish the goal of replacing my original DC with the new server so when users come in to work that Monday morning the change will be transparent and I won't have to reconfigure any clients?

I appreciate your input!
-Mike

Another way to handle this....

1) Transfer your roles to your perminant DCs. Move DHCP, DNS, WINS, etc.

2) Transfer data and shares to the new DC.

3) Transfer FSMO roles to the new server (or distribute the roles to other DC's as appropriate)

4) once all roles and data have been moved. Run DCPROMO on the old DC to remove the server from the domain.

Now wait a while with the "old DC1" server offline. MAke sure that AD see the DC gone. If you have problems where AD still believe the DC is in the domain, follow this document to get rid of it from AD:
5) rename the DC to the original DC1 name:
6) give the DC the same IP as the original DC.

-hope this helps as an alternative idea..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Is DC1 running DNS, DHCP, or any other of that type of service for your domain?

If not, then really you can just dcpromo DC3 out to a member server, then dcpromo DC1 out to a member server and remove from the domain, then dcpromo DC3 back into AD and then transfer any roles you want DC3 to handle instead of DC2.

If DC1 is running DNS, DHCP, etc., you'll need to make sure that DC2 can handle those requests while you're bringing DC3 back in, or else do it on a maintenance schedule when no users will be effected while you do the work.

Either way, in the end, you have to make sure that your DNS, DHCP, etc. is still being taken care of when you're all done.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back