Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the local security settings at the cmd prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazhbu

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
Here's the trouble I have. We set up 22 laptop computers with Windows 2K Pro and some special software. We then shipped these out to 22 salesmen in the field in 8 different states. We now realize we didn't install the printer drivers. Their local security settings do not allow them to add a printer. Is there a way that this can be changed from a command line, so that we could send out bootable floppies that make the change, and then walk them through adding the printer. If you have a better alternative to my dilema, I'm all ears. The one thing I will not do, is give our salesmen the Admin password. I will travel to all these locations and install the printer myself before I do that.

Do they dial in to your network? Do you have a Windows 2000 computer available to you?

I think this will work:
Have them dial in so their computer registers on your network.
On your computer, Run MMC
Add a snap in and add the Computer Management snap in.
It gives you a choice to add it for another computer, so choose the computer that is dialed.
In the Computer Management, go to Local Users and Computer.
Go to Groups, Power Users.
Put that person in the power users.
Let them install the printer.
Then, go back in the same steps and remove the user from power user.

Alternately, there are command line utilities that modify group membership. I am still in the learning stages and so don't know what they are. Good luck.

If anyone knows what those command line utilities are, PLEASE speak up! These users never actually log into the domain. The software package on their machines synch their databases and email. They never log in.

the runas command

or have you tried the su.exe command from the res kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back