Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing the history key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTHUG

MIS
Jun 11, 2001
US
I have a HPL2000 running 11.0. My history key is set to Esc+k. I would like this to change to the up and down arrows on my pc But can not figure out a way to do it. Anyone tried this or heard of how to do it.

What you are refering to with the history key is a function of the shell you are running in as well as the default editor or $VISUAL. Sounds like ksh. If you wanted to use your up and down arrow keys for this, try bash.

Yes I'am in ksh but i cannot change my shell as root. on hpux 11.0 root can only run ksh. So i was wondering is there any way to change the function of Esc-k to up and down arrows.

I am not aware of a way to allow ksh to use the arrow keys. However you (root) can change the default login shell for root in HP-UX 11.0. Root does not have to run under ksh.

I did try to change the shell for root and when doing so the system will only boot in single user mode and then it will let you know right away with errors that root should not be in any other shell.

You can change the shell for your session, not for the default login.

# exec (newshell)

try
set -o emacs Tony ... aka chgwhat
tony_b@technologist.com

When in doubt,,, Power out...

emacs? <aaarrrggghhh!> Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back