Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing The E-Mail Client In Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

askchrisb

Instructor
Nov 5, 2004
US
Changing The E-Mail Client In Windows XP

PROBLEM

I am a new user of Windows XP, and apparently I have the wrong e-mail program installed as the default.

BEHAVIOR
Every time I am in my browser (Mozilla Firefox), and I attempt to click on an email link in a website, Microsoft Word pops up as the program to write the email in. This is not what I want - what I want is for my preferred e-mail program, Google Mail (Gmail) to come up as the default client for composing e-mail.

Another anomaly is that even though I just recently started using Windows XP on this machine (I started using it a few weeks ago), this behavior of Word popping up as the default client for composing email did not happen when I first was using this computer a few weeks ago - originally, the computer used Gmail for all email purposes.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR

1)I consulted Windows XP Help for the phrase "e-mail client", and found that the "email client" setting was under Internet Properties, and I went to Internet Properties thinking that I would find "Microsoft Word" in the e-mail client setting, and that I could simply change it to "gmail.com", or some answer like this.

2)I found that the e-mail client setting in Internet Properties was set to Microsoft Outlook.

3)If I remember correctly there was a text box which had a fixed list of alternatives, and I could not find my desired e-mail program/webite (Gmail) on the list, nor could I type it in.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM

One possiblity I suspect is that another person who was using my computer inadvertantly caused the problem during their use of AOL and / or Microsoft Outlook, perhaps while trying to access their own address book.

SUMMARY

I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe "e-mail client" isn't the setting I need to change at all. Or maybe there's some trick to changing it that I don't know. Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

To do so:

. Open Gmai.
. Download the Gmail Notifier . Right-click the Notifier icon in your system tray, and select 'Options.'
. Check the box next to 'Use Gmail for internet mailto: links.'
. Click 'OK.'

there is at least on firefox extension for this - webmail compose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back