Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing text in movie clips/instances

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeburns

Vendor
Feb 26, 2006
US
I created a movie that has text. I see that if I create different instances of this movie and change an instance or change it from the library it changes all of them. At least that's what's happening and that makes sense.

I want to duplicate the movie but have different text. I duplicated it in the library and created an instance of the duplicate version.

If I change the text in the duplicate or in an instance of it, it changes the original in the library and all instances of it -- all instances both original and duplicate. All I want to do is end up with 2 movies that are essentially the same except one line of text is different. I obviously don't want to recreate it each time I need it and I'm going to need several versions of it.

You have to give the new library item a different name. In other words if you have many instances of the same clip you will get the result you are seeing. Change one they all change. You have to create unique movieclips to have them all be different. Alternatively you can create 1 dynamic clip and feed it the variables when you instantiate it.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back