Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing tables in a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea64

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
I work in the DBA group and have been given a report that pulls data from 7 tables. Since the users want the data to be as of a certain date/time, I've created a separate table with all the fields contained in the report and then populate it with a stored procedure using the query in the provided report that runs at the date/time the user specifies. My question is...Is there an easy way to change the fields, including those used in groups, sub totals, grand totals and summaries, to point to this 1 table without having to essentially recreate the entire report?

We are using MS SQL Server 2000 and CR 8.5. Mike Anderson
Database Developer/Administrator

I think that the question is, how do I change the report from using 7 joined tables, to using just 1, correct?

The set location always fails miserably on this sort of thing, I recently converted a clients multi-table approach of several reports to using views, and had the same issue.

There isn't a good way that I know of, I save the old report under a new name, then change the datasource, then open the old one and use copy and paste, it helps, andI can do a fairly complex one in about an hour that way.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

I work with View joining several tables.
When I change the view, the only way I found to "refresh" CR, is to go in database, Show sql ..., and reinitialize it.

Daaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back