Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing table in report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan01

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have a report accessing table a, but would like to use it to access table b. Is there a way to switch tables? Or should I just start from scratch? Thanks, Dan.

if your tables have the same structure, or close enough, just go to (menu)Database/Set Location. The lower half of the Set Location dialog shows the location of your current table. Click the "set Location" button and find your new table in the Data Explorer - it can be in the same database or a different one. Click the Data Explorer "Set" button and the Set Location "Done" button. That's it! Be sure to save yor report with the new table location. You may want to use Database/Set Alias to change the name your report uses to refer to the table to match the new table name, if it is different, to avoid later confusion.

Just in Case,

If the database you are trying to change to is a different type than your original you may need to change the database driver then set the location.

Also, for some bizarre reason, if you change the location, Crystal never seems to change the table name in the report. This can get quite confusing when you are looking at formulas.

alley

<<if you change the location, Crystal never seems to change the table name in the report. This can get quite confusing when you are looking at formulas>>

That's why I suggested also using Set Alias!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back